India Geography Lesson Today

Today I will start with a geography lesson for those not very familiar with India to help you understand where I have been traveling.  I flew into Mumbai which is on the west side of India.


On the more detailed map below, Mumbai is in the top left corner.  After arriving in Mumbai, the next morning we went to Pune (center of map) which is where the Cummins India Office (CIO) building is located.  That is where we have been meeting/working since we arrived.

On Saturday I was at Lavasa which you can see on the map to the left and a little lower than Pune.  

Today (Monday) I, Priya (colleague from UK), Pati and Sneha (colleagues from India) went to Phalton (lower right corner of the map) to visit the Cummins Mega Site which is currently made up of 8 separate Cummins factories. We got tours of the 2 plants that build the products that we support.  One of the plants is setting up a new assembly line to support the building of new products in India.   The photo below shows the current work going on to set up the assembly line. I can't share any other photos - top secret!



The drive to Phalton was interesting because I got to see another part of the India countryside.  One particularly interesting thing was that we kept seeing animals such as cows and oxen that were painted different colors; the obvious question is "Why?"  Sneha shared that this weekend there was a festival where the farmers honored their cattle for all they do for them.  To show their honor some were painted, some had wreaths of flowers, etc.  Here is one example of a set of oxen that were painted yellow with fancy painting on the horns.


That concludes your India geography lesson for today.

I have 2 more days of meetings in Pune before returning home.  Tomorrow we will be doing a group dinner so I am looking forward to that!  I am sure I will have more wonderful Indian food.  I must say both Pati and Sneha have done a great job of suggesting foods for me to try.  I think a couple more days is all my body will be able to stand for a little while!

Here is the group of people from Cummins I have been working with while in India.


Comments

  1. I'll point out the obvious... white boy!

    At first I didn't see the oxen. I guess I'm just not accustomed to seeing them with this kind of color.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

June 24, Day 1 of Tour

June 25 - Switzerland, Liechtenstein, and Austria - Oh My!